A heart rate monitor can help you to get some insight on how fit and healthy you are. Unfortunately, there are a lot of devices on the market, and this complicates the decision-making process. For a swimming tracker, you should ensure that it’s waterproof and rated for a certain depth. You should also consider if you want to view the data while swimming or after the swim to determine the screen brightness. Another factor to consider is whether it can respond to swipes under water. Though it’s quite hard to get accurate heart rate data when swimming, choosing the best heart rate monitor for swimming can get you precise information.
Why You Should Monitor Your Heart Rate While Swimming
It’s important to track your heart rate during a workout as it’s the most effective way to make sure you get maximum benefits out of the exercise. Professionals in endurance intensive sports such as swimming are using the best heart rate monitors for swimming to get maximum cardiovascular benefits. Below are some of the benefits of monitoring your heart rate while swimming.
- Monitor your fitness progress – A heart rate monitor shows you your peak and resting heart rate hence can help you to know how your fitness is progressing.
- Swimming at the right intensity – This is particularly important during recovery days. Using a heart rate monitor when swimming can help you exercise at the right intensity. It can show you whether to push yourself a bit harder during a swim as well as ensure you’re not overdoing it.
- Helps you to know how hard you’re working – A heart rate monitor is the only accurate objective measure of our effort. It shows you how much exertion you’re throwing down.
A heart rate monitor is the best tool to help you keep on top of this – read on to find out about our best heart rate monitor for swimming!
Best Heart Rate Monitor for Swimming Reviews
The Garmin HRM-Swim is designed for pool usage and is one of the best heart rate monitors for swimming. Its strap is made of a thicker material than other chest straps, and it has a sticker back to keep it in place while you swim. The strap can also withstand constant exposure to pool chemicals. Its pod is also chunkier due to the extra internals that enable it to record and save heart rate data. When swimming, the Garmin HRM records your swimming data and syncs it to a compatible watch after you exit the water. It measures your heart rate, pace, stroke count, stroke type, and distance covered.
- Connectivity: ANT+
- Battery life: 18 months
- Water resistance: 5 ATM (Up to 50 meters)
- Accurate results
- It does not slide when swimming
- The sticky strap can at times get a bit hot and sweaty
- It cannot transmit through water; hence, you can’t see your heart rate in real time
Polar A370 is an upgrade on the A360 and comes with a few extra features. The wrist-based monitor is designed to track your daily activities, training sessions, and sleep. It also comes with continuous heart rate tracking and a GPS that enables you to track distance and speed. Polar A370 is waterproof up to 30 meters hence suitable for swimming. However, water may affect its ability to work optimally, but it will collect your swimming data just fine. All the data collected is sent to the Polar Smartphone app where you can easily access it. Polar A370 allows you to customize your heart zones and get vibration feedback. The heart rate monitor has an optical HR sensor that enables you to access heart rate directly from the wrist in real time.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth
- Battery life: 3-4 days
- Water resistance: 3 ATM
- Continuous heart rate monitoring
- Different sports modes available
- GPS connected
- Brighter and clearer screen
- Accurate heart rate tracking
- Real-time data
- Larger in size than most wrist-based monitors
- Battery life can be improved
- GPS can be unreliable
Polar H10 is among the best heart rate monitors for swimming. This chest strap heart rate monitor is accurate, comfortable, and compatible with all Polar smartwatches and Polar Smartphone app. The strap has silicone dots to keep it firmly in place through every turn and stroke and comes with improved electrodes to enhance accuracy. Polar H10 transmits HR data in real time to the connected smartphone app through Bluetooth Smart. When you’re swimming, the monitor records data with the onboard sensor memory, and you can download the data to the mobile app after the swim.
- Battery life: 400 hours
- Built-in memory
- Water resistance: 3 ATM
- Accurate readings
- Good battery life
- Ease of compatibility
- Real-time HR readings
- Updatable using Polar Beat app and Polar Flow app
- Built-in memory
- It charges for common features
Suunto Smart Sensor ranks among the best heart rate monitors for swimming. It is the smallest heart rate monitor for swimming that’s Bluetooth Smart compatible. While swimming, the monitor measures and stores your heart rate data and transmits it wirelessly to your Suunto Movescount App or Ambit 3 via. Once you transfer the data, you can analyze and share your moves with your mates. The monitor comes with a redesigned heart rate belt that’s made from soft textile and equipped with unique traction to prevent it from sliding. It is also easy to use and sends precise heart rate data to your compatible devices.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart
- Water resistance: 30 ATM
- Comfortable fit
- Accurate and reliable
- Long battery life
- Compatible with iPhone and Android smartphones
- Does not process data in real time